The panorama on the sunrise side: an awesome view of Malarayat

The quiet panorama on the sunrise side of the farm: an awesome view of Mount Malaráyat and the river below the gap.

30 October 2011

Easy Ways to Add Twenty Years to Your Life

The whole premise why I'm in Lipa (or at least, part-time) is to pave the way for a better quality of daily life in the future. The wide open spaces encourages me to be active and not sedentary, I started eating what we plant and according to the seasons, de-stressing myself from a chaotic metropolitan existence. When I'm in the farm, I sleep early and wake up early. I don't use airconditioning and the organic roofs keep us cool all day, all year round. I run the dog, I bike in the neighborhood, we have our own free-range chicken and eggs, I bend over to pick leaves up, I'm sure you get the picture.


It goes without saying that I'm in love with life and I certainly want to live longer. Amazingly, my experience is that my quality weekends balance my workweek and I've become even more productive and efficient in the city. But what a lot of people don't realize is that I've been doing this even way before I had the farm. I have the farm because of my lifestyle, not the other way around.


Now I found this article from Yahoo News: Easy Ways to Add 20 Years to Your Life which pretty much enumerates stuff we already practice.
At present, it sounds real simple to me but a lot of people have so much reasons why they can't do it: the kids, work, no time, my spouse is not up to it, money. And most of all, they say they don't have a farm like mine! But that's exactly what I'm saying: the lifestyle comes first. And if you're honest and serious about your preferences, it will become more apparent and tangible.


Different people have different ways of de-cluttering and some may need paradigm shifts to even make one step forward. But it always begins with one step, and any step, no matter how small (and easy) will make you inch closer to a better and longer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment