The panorama on the sunrise side: an awesome view of Malarayat

The quiet panorama on the sunrise side of the farm: an awesome view of Mount Malaráyat and the river below the gap.

09 February 2013

Anonas

One of the first trees I got acquainted to when we started the farm years back was this tree planted near the road. When we started clearing the property, I gave clear instructions not to cut down any tree so we can clearly see what was in there. I planned around the trees to be as unobtrusive as I can but consequently, there were some small ones that had to be sacrificed to make way and clear some areas.


Eventually, we trimmed this Anonas (Annona reticulata) and incorporated it into the gardenscape. It's a generous tree; it shades the plants around it and consistently gives us the most delicious fruits.

Like a lot of people, I did not know of this tree and fruit until I came here. I know about the street named after it, and I even have a friend surnamed Anonas. But I had no clue it is a cousin of the Atis (Annona squamosa), and is actually bigger, fleshier, and creamier.

And when it is fully ripe, its skin turn an attractively pale red orange (below, foreground). It's refreshing to eat it chilled, and must be good to make into a shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment