The panorama on the sunrise side: an awesome view of Malarayat

The quiet panorama on the sunrise side of the farm: an awesome view of Mount Malaráyat and the river below the gap.

16 February 2013

Philippine Tree of the Month: Alawihaw




Now emerging taller than our palms is a native dipterocarp called Alawíhaw (sp. Alawíhao?), whose scientific name I have yet to find. I chanced on this seedling only around three years ago, when I did not even know yet the importance of native trees. At the Manila Seedling Bank, I was talking to a staff member, inventorizing through their peripheral stocks I may not yet have. He pointed out this lone seedling, coyly telling me that this is a native tree, sounding rather deprecating yet I perceived he meant it as a practical and prudent choice.

Some months later, I became more aware of the importance of promoting our native flora, and I'm glad my Alawihaw's had a headstart.

4 comments: